Gov. Ricketts Unveils Ag Magazine, Ag Poster Contest Winners
Magazine, poster contest continue Ag Week celebration
Lincoln – Today, Gov. Pete Ricketts unveiled the new edition of the Nebraska Agriculture and You magazine and highlighted the winners of the Nebraska Department of Agriculture (NDA) poster contest following his National Ag Week tour across the state.
“I hope Nebraskans will appreciate the opportunity to learn more about our state’s number one industry,” said Gov. Ricketts. “The Nebraska Agriculture and You magazine is designed to help provide a broad view of the agriculture sector in our state, while the poster contest gives teachers a chance to engage elementary-age students in a discussion about from where their food comes.”
NDA Director Greg Ibach said the Nebraska Agriculture and You magazine, now in its third edition, shares information about the state’s agricultural industry with consumers. It covers a wide variety of topics, such as ethanol, GMOs, potatoes, popcorn, and what “sustainability” means.
“The Nebraska Agriculture and You magazine is a wonderful tool for consumers interested in learning more about where food comes from and the families who produce it,” Ibach said. “We appreciate the financial partnerships from agribusinesses and other organizations, whose advertisements enable us to produce this magazine and distribute it to the public free of charge.”
The magazine will be circulated to locations across the state where the general public can enjoy it, such as the lobbies of doctor and dentist offices, hair salons, and automotive shops. Magazines also will be distributed to public libraries, county extension offices, and chambers of commerce. Individuals may request magazines from NDA by calling 800-422-6692. A digital copy of the magazine also is available on the NDA website at www.nda.nebraska.gov.
Gov. Ricketts also announced the winners of the 2015 National Ag Week in Nebraska poster contest sponsored by NDA. The contest was open to all first through sixth grade students in Nebraska.
NDA received nearly 2,400 posters as part of this year’s contest.
“This year’s theme was ‘A Day on the Farm,’ and it is apparent from the quality of the posters that many of the teachers used the contest to discuss agriculture in their classrooms. Creating educated consumers starts with quality conversations, even at the elementary age level,” said Gov. Ricketts. “I am excited with the large number of posters.”
POSTER CONTEST WINNERS ANNOUNCED
In the 1st and 2nd grade division:
- 1st place is: Kaylea McCaulley a second grader from Weeping Water Public School
- 2nd place is: Kate Mogensen a second grader from Weeping Water Public School
- 3rd place is: Jessica Hovie a second grader from Arcadia Public School
- Governor’s Choice is: Levi Othmer a first grader from Johnson County Central in Tecumseh
In the 3rd and 4th grade division:
- 1st place is: Saryn Prickett a third grader from Alma Public Schools
- 2nd place is: Luke Christie a third grader from Sandhills Public Schools in Halsey
- 3rd place is: Maggie Fischer a third grader from Ord Elementary
- Governor’s Choice is: Jamie Bennett a fourth grader from C. Ray Gates Elementary in Grand Island
In the 5th and 6th grade division
- 1st place is: Emily Chamberlain a sixth grader from Wayne Elementary
- 2nd place is: Andrew Cone a sixth grader from Logan Valley Public Schools in Hooper
- 3rd place is: Elizabeth Rowe a fifth grader from Shell Creek Elementary in Columbus
- Governor’s Choice is: Brandon Hollister a fifth grader from Knickrehm Elementary in Grand Island
The winning posters can be viewed on the NDA website at http://www.nda.nebraska.gov/kids/poster/2015/2015contest.html.